If you’re planning home improvements don’t forget the laundry room. This important and functional space deserves a touch of glamor too. Read this article to learn some essential laundry room ideas.
Start by planning your laundry room decor ideas
Before you start your laundry room makeover it’s important to plan. These laundry room ideas will bring this functional room to life.
As well as a washer and perhaps a dryer, you’ll need a space for sorting, folding, and ironing clothes. The laundry room needs plenty of storage space too.
- Get the layout right – make the most of wall and countertop space.
- Keep decor colors simple – white or light colors give a crisp clean feel. Add texture to lift the look, with wooden flooring, a couple of laundry room rugs, and colorful tiles.
- If you don’t have room for a dryer or want to be environmentally friendly, then air drying is best. Installing a pull-out drying rack for the laundry room is the perfect solution to drying the washing on rainy days.
- Give each member of the family their own laundry bin. This makes it easy to find those lost socks or pants if you’re in a hurry.
- Set up two bins for whites and colors – this will save a lot of time sorting and prevent those dreaded laundry color-run accidents.
Laundry room storage ideas – a place for everything
Efficient storage is essential to maximize space. Take a look at these laundry room storage ideas for small rooms and large rooms.
- Use base and wall cabinets with internal shelves to store laundry essentials.
- Keep the ironing board out of sight in a tall cabinet or hang it on the wall. A wall-mounted ironing board is easy to use and can be tucked away when you don´t need it.
- Install a rail to air clothes or hang them after ironing. Alternatively buy a portable rack you can wheel straight to the bedroom. And only use matching wooden or fabric hangers for a quality touch (never cheap wire ones that pull your clothes out of shape).
- Buy a set of stackable boxes if you’re short on space. These are ideal for towels, ironing, and washing that’s come out of the dryer.
- Use baskets in pastels or deep tones to add color and store things like clothespins, hangers, and cleaning materials.
Laundry room shelving ideas for the wow factor
One of our favorite laundry room shelving ideas is to create a feature in this space.
Install a couple of shelves to display jars containing detergent, laundry pods, fabric conditioner, and sewing accessories (remember to keep these out of the kids’ reach). You can also put wire baskets, neatly folded towels, and a plant on the shelves. The trick is to keep things spacious, neat, and clutter-free.
Small laundry room ideas for the tiniest of spaces
White laundry room cabinets will make the room seem larger. As will white walls and tiles. To avoid the room looking stark use different shades of white, such as off-white and cream, to layer the appearance.
Another clever small laundry room idea we love is to use sliding doors for the laundry room to save on space.
You could also use a closet as a laundry room and hide it behind folding doors. Even a narrow cabinet and shelves will fit into this space, and you can just shut the doors when it’s not laundry day.
Don’t forget laundry room decor – make this household task a pleasure, not a chore.